[AMPS] More amplifier experiments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More amplifier experiments
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:33:28 -0500
At 06:38 AM 5/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 28 May 1998 09:17:03 +0000, Tom Rauch wrote:
>
>>The 5 watt metal oxide resistors I have sampled from Mouser are very
>>inductive. Not only that, you have NO control over who's resistors
>>they send you.
>>
>>If anyone knows of a non-inductive 5 watt standard off the shelf
>>resistor let me know....I've been looking for one for years.
>
>Are the old Glo-bar resistors still around?

Yes, they are, from Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

I have made many successful parasitic suppressor for 4-1000A's and
3-1000Z's by winding 3 turns of #12 bus bar wire, 3/4 inch in diameter
around a 50 ohm 15 watt carborundum resistor. I got the idea from an
amp made by Varian-Eimac using a pair of 4-1000A's. I figured they knew
what they were doing! The resistors and clips for the ends are readily
available from SSN.

While we are on the subject of 4-1000A's, I also learned a trick passed
on to me from one of my Elmers that really tames down a 4X1. In addition
to the above, install a 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series with a 25pf
disk ceramic cap from each filament pin to chassis ground. Mount the
ground lugs as close to the tube socket as you can get to allow for short
leads. This mod is highly effective and recommended if you run the 4X1 at
6kv.

(((73)))

"To do is to be".....Sartre
"To be is to do".....Aristotle