Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: k7fm@teleport.com, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:20:47 EST

In a message dated 25/11/2004 15:11:08 GMT Standard Time, k7fm@teleport.com
writes:

That is  a joy to use.  If you have a lot of spare change around, buy
yourself a  nice spectrum analyzer for Christmas

Spectrum analysers can also lie like personnel managers. They also tell you
things that you'd rather not know. But I agree with Colin, it's a very good
thing to have.  My XYL agreed that it was a good thing to have, so she  didn't
object at all to me buying one. Personally, I'm a believer in HP spec.  ans.
and Tek scopes. Never seen a Tek spec. an. that I was impressed with.  For HF
work, there's a Marconi Instruments one which isn't bad, either. It has  the
advantage of a built in tracking generator.

The HP 141 series are basically repairable, except for the mixer on the
22GHz version. Even there, it may be possible to bodge something.

Mean as I am on spending on amateur radio, good test gear seems always
justifiable to me. I even bought me a universal component bridge this year.
But I
think it's likely to be some time before I get a digital scope -  unless one
comes along VERY cheap.

73

Peter G3RZP