Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)
From: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 15:16:52 +0000
I'll tell you guys an interesting little story about 6 meter amps that is relevant to this discussion.
A few years ago a friend came to me for help with getting an amplifier working on 6 meters.
He figured (rightly so) that a cost-effective and time-effective way to go was to convert an
SB-220 that he had on hand. He had redone the tank coil, and substituted new pi net caps,
but was only getting about 400 watts out. I think the original bandswitch was still
in the circuit.
I talked to my friend Lou W1QJ (appropriately named "goodguyham") for suggestions since I knew
he had a lot of experience with 6 m amps. Lou gave me a lot of advice for such a conversion but said rather than me inventing the wheel all over again to bring the amp up to his shop. To make a long story short in 2 hours in Lou's shop we had new parasitic chokes installed by Lou, and a more efficeint tuning cap installed, and a few other secret touches that Lou knew about because of his experience.
We went home at 11 pm that night with a single band 6 meter amp putting out about 900 watts, COMPLETELY stable. I mean more stable than that amp is on 20 meters. It is still working
perfectly 5 years later.
Now, if someone was homebrewing a new 6 m amp would 3-500s be the best choice of a tube?
Probably not. But if you had an SB-220 and wanted a kw out on 6 meters, there is no choice
in the matter. And let's not forget, "A watt is a watt." And a kw from an 8877 is the same on the air as a kw from an SB-220.
And if Lou offered me a tube better than an 8877, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to
buy it from him. He is the most honest and generous ham I ever met, and one of the most
competent homebrewers I know. Not only that he goes to Dayton every year - He's a DOGGY!
(a member of "The Dayton Organized Group Gathering Yearly")
Rick K2XT