Re: [Amps] Power handling of an SMA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power handling of an SMA
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:48:01 +0100
I suspect a lot of issues with 259s arise from the variation in
materials. I see lots with nylon and brown 'plastic' (bakelite or
SRBP?) insulation which I wouldn't trust under stress or with age.
  Then there's the problem with the braid connection and the cold
soldered joints onto low grade plating. Even when that's ok, the
coupling ring is prone to working loose given time, mechanical
movement or thermal cycling etc. Most other connectors have some
form of spring fingering that maintains contact even when the
coupling nut isn't tight.

Where the non constant impedance isn't an issue, a good quality
well assembled 259 will handle a lot of juice - but it's a trap
waiting for the unwary.

Steve