Re: [Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:44:15 +0000
> I wonder what the permeability is of a jelly filled donut?

It might be rather lossy. The resistive permeability might be larger
than the inductive one. But once the jelly is hot, eat it, it tastes
good when hot. That will leave you with a high-Q donut.

A year ago I was on a trip on a sailboat, and the autotuner of my TS-450
absolutely didn't want to tune up the backstay on 80 meters. So I wound
a loading coil on a peanut butter jar. A few days later we ate the
peanut butter, forcing me to move the turns a little closer together on
the empty jar, to maintain proper resonance. There didn't seem to be
much difference in performance. Peanut butter has low permeability, and
apparently pretty low loss too.

Manfred.