Re: [Amps] chassis maker?

Subject: Re: [Amps] chassis maker?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 17:39:30 -0700
On 5/4/2013 12:59 PM, Colin Lamb wrote:
"I consider a shear essential unless you are not considering looks. Only
a few have the skill to saw and file with a professional look."

Although I have a shear, that may not be the perfect solution.  In order to cut
thicker
aluminum or steel, you need a 2,000 pound shear, which involves space. And, often they are not able to do more than cut a flat edge the full length of the material. If you are going to fold it, the shear may not be able to cut all the shapes you need. However, both a table saw and a radial arm saw, with a non-ferrous blade can make clean cuts (warning - secure things before you cut). And, if you build edge guides, even a saber saw with a metal cutting blade
can make clean cuts.

Agreed.

The shear has one strong negative when it comes to thicker pieces. The rolled edge.

The table saw can throw an unsecured piece across the shop and stick it far enough into the wall that it can be difficult to pull out. Voice from long in the past. Basically I don't like table saws, do to a slip with one I have a thumb the Doc tells me will never be the same.

I much prefer the milling machine with saw for the thicker pieces. A horizontal/vertical combination mill is ideal but pricey and I've not seen any at regular machine shop brokers. Grizzly has imported ones. I don't know how good/durable they are.

I've seen break/shear combinations that would (were reputed to) cut out corners, for making chassis, but again I think the thickest material they could handle was either 12 or 16ga.

There are also specific punch presses for cutting out these corners ranging from hand units for a standard thickness Aluminum to hydraulic for serious work. Thing is, I see the newer versatile shops using laser cutters which put a new meaning on the word pricey, but they will cut virtually any metal. Programed they can do an entire panel in a few minutes. I think one of the companies that have been mentioned offer that service. They send you the software to lay out the panel, you send the layout back and you have the new panel back in about a week. I think they will even do powder coating.

Now that would be quite a toy.<:-))

Surprisingly, a plasma torch with a moveable/roller power feed can cut Aluminum or steel with a pretty good edge. I've cut painted barn metal using a guide without scorching the paint. Course that's thin and you are moving fast. That and it's not an edge you'd present to a customer.

I've never gotten a good edge from a sabre saw.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73,  Colin  K7FM