Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?

To: ww1c@outlook.com, garyschafer@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All, an added thought about the ripple effects:

The ripple voltage is highly dependant on plate current. Considering the
nature of SSB speech wave forms, the maximum ripple voltage only occurs on
speech peaks. Average signal levels would be much lower and the ripple would
also be much lower.

If it was half as much, then the effect would be reduced another 6 dB on
average.

Seems that CW would show the most effects. I do recall hearing a "musical
tone" on some cw signals from Eastern Europe many years ago. Most of the
time it  was from high power stations during a DX contest. Perhaps the added
bandwidth of  SSB would obscure the ripple. "Lost in the noise" so to speak.

My current interest is mainly in microwave eme operation. Traveling wave
tubes are used to generate power. The homebrew power supplies have a lot of
filter C in the helix supply to reduce hum on the transmitted signal. After
this  discussion I am wondering if there may be more C than necessary.
Normally it  would not matter but if there is a flashover in the twt the helix
structure  could be damaged. There are trip circuits to shut the power supply
down but most  of the stored energy would be dissipated in the helix.

73,
Gerald K5GW

I don't recall ever noticing the effect on SSB signals.

In a message dated 10/4/2013 1:31:26 A.M. Central Daylight Time,