[CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal
From: n2au@lightlink.com (Art & Linda Hubert)
Date: Sun Apr 5 13:47:54 1998
After reading all these words of wisdom on contesting;  who has the
advantage, who is a better operator, etc., the plain facts are that  99%
of the time, when it comes to DX contests using the present rules, the
East Coast Contester will prevail.  Nowhere did I read that when the WPX
contest was 30 hours in length, did a West Coast station win, only that
they were more competitive.  By shortening the contest, it will not undo
the advantage of the many multipliers that are available from the right
coast.  There is only one type of competition that may answer this
question.  A contest ( a no-brainer) were you can work any
station..domestic or DX at a value of 1 point and no multipliers. This
eliminates any advantage that each coast has at certain times in a
contest and the time element should no longer be a factor, whether you
operate 24 hours or 36 hours.  With this type of competition, my bet is
that neither a West or East coast station would end up in  the top U.S.
spot.  My money is on a well-equiped Texas station.   But like the rest
of the opinions on this subject..It could be wrong.

N2AU