[CQ-Contest] Reply to SO2R comments...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Reply to SO2R comments...
From: Chad.Kurszewski@motorola.com (Kurszewski Chad-WCK005)
Date: Tue Mar 6 12:26:49 2001
 > There are not enough channels and there are no "frequency rights."  There is
 > almost always someone on every frequency, whether you can hear them of not.
 > Pick a frequency for best rate. If K3LR or K1AR is also on that channel (or
 > just shows up), your rate may not be optimized. The good op knows when to
 > fight and when to fold, it's part of the game.

Well, being from the Midwest, one can rarely compete into
Europe with the W1 big guns if they wish to ensue a
frequency battle.

Now that I fly out to the East Coast to contest from a
large station (albeit not W1), I see I need to learn this
East Coast tactic.  Pick any frequency that I believe I can
run off some other smaller station.  Because, as part of the
contest 'battle', if I believe I can achieve optimum rate by
doing so, it makes it okay.

It will take me a while to get used to that one.

Chad WE9V

From: Marty Tippin" <martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)

I'll second (and third) the idea that once you leave a frequency, it's not
yours. Oh - and why is everyone afraid to name names? Get the offender's
callsigns out in the open, subject to scrutiny of contesters everywhere and
maybe they'll shape up.

Case in point:

Was trolling for a place to call CQ on Sunday morning down in the "W1"
portion of 20 meters (you know, below 14.180) - found a nice clear spot,
said "is the frequency in use?" - not once, but twice - and got absolutely
no response.

So I started CQ, got a response almost immediately and in the middle of the
exchange, KC1XX (don't know who the 20m op was at that time...) shows up and
says "AE9B, What are you doing? This is my frequency!" - I explained about
asking if it was in use, getting no response, etc. and he says "Well, I was
listening up the band a ways but I've been here 10 hours!"  No point in
arguing about it too much, being in the middle of Zero land and running
*only* 1500W... So I made a few smart remarks and headed up the band a
little bit. Fortunately, the guy I was working found me and verified that we
had finished the contact correctly.

I think next time that happens, however, I'll stay put. My rate was already
pretty low, so I figure there's less at stake for me than the big gun who
tries to bully his way back on to the the frequency. Maybe I won't
ultimately win the battle, but I guarantee you'll have a helluva time making
any contacts through my 60-second CQ! I don't give a rat's behind who you
are - if you don't answer when I say "is the frequency in use?" it's not
your frequency. Period.

-Marty NW0L (operating at AE9B last weekend...)
  martyt@pobox.com