[CQ-Contest] Advice on CW/contest rig for $1000-$2000?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Advice on CW/contest rig for $1000-$2000?
From: k6km@cncnet.com (Bill)
Date: Wed May 2 20:40:40 2001
Kristinn,

First choice is a GOOD used Ft-1000MP. Make sure it has all of the
filters that you need. I agree with Tree that not only is the TS-570
to be avoided but anything new from Kenwood is to be avoided.

You may ask why. I paid nearly $4000 for a TS-950SDX which had
terrible
modulation on SSB and a rotten note on CW, but only after several
hours of contesting. Kenwood couldn't fix the problem. I even sent
a tape recording of the rotten signals.

After two years and five returns to the Kenwood factory, they told
me to go to Hell. I responded that I would go to ham conventions
and hand out papers describing accurately my experiences with
Kenwood support. They responded by sending me a USED TS-950SDX
with fewer filters than were in my broken SDX.

After that experience I will NEVER again buy anything with the
Kenwood name.

Good luck,

Bill K6KM