Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: Mark Beckwith <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:00:05 +0000

Mark Beckwith wrote:

>>>You call it a crutch.  That implies an impairment.
>>>

>I don't think it's much of a question any more that a significant number of
>guys pointing, shooting, then logging, are not capable of working many
>stations that have been spotted on their own.  That is why I called using
>3rd party DX spots a "crutch."

No disagreement from me.  However, if they operate that way, either due
to lack of "operating skills" or just because that's what they like to
do, do you have the right to tell them how to operate?
I know several "phone ops" who started operated CW contests because of
DX spotting networks.  Isn't it better to stimulate more contest activity?

>The problem is with the handful of crafty guys for whom using 3rd party DX
>spots *can* become a significant advantage.  It's true that 99% of assited
>entrants don't score as high as the top unassisted entrants, but every once
>in a while one sneaks through.  Plus, are we limiting the discussion to only
>the top unassisted entrants?  I'd hate to operate unassisted into 10th place
>overall and get knocked out of the box by an assisted guy, and I know there
>are plenty of unassisted contesters who would hate to lose their sections or
>divisions to someone who is assisted.  This would happen all over the place
>if 3rd party DX spots were not properly identified as a significant
>potential advantage.

Mark, you are underestimating the skill level involved in successfully
operating SOA.  You assume that SOA is simply SO with another 100
multipliers spoon fed to the op.  Au contraire.  I believe K3WW coined
the term "single op, distracted."  He's right on the money with that
one.  Just like knowing when to switch bands, S&P vs. run, etc., one
much know how to balance the information overload created by the DX
spots with maximzing score.

As an example, there's a SOA op that is louder than me.  He quickly
blows in and out of every "packet pileup" and I don't think I've ever
beat him in one.  Yet, I don't think he's ever been in the top 3 SOA
scores.  Why?  Because he spends too much time chasing multipliers,
taking away from his QSO total.

73,
Barry

--