Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:51:28 -0800
> I am guilty of this 2-3 times last weekend in my ultimately unsuccessful
> search for Vermont for mult #80.  My frustration about missing what is
> normally an easy mult from NH added to my liddiness.  It never occurred to
> me that now that I'm using Telnet rather than RF packet, it's now
> "non-Amateur radio means".  Or how would we know RF packet vs. Telnet ?
> hmmm...
>
> Stu        KC1F

U stands for Unlimited, but that does not mean we can do anything we want on
the spotting networks.  There are still fairly clear rules for the various
categories about what constitutes acceptable use of spots and assistance
derived from them.

There are two issues - one is soliciting contacts indirectly through
non-amateur means.  The other is solicting assistance from other operators
while in a single-op category - U.

I suppose one could obscure enough information about one's frequency or time
or whatever to remain on the right side of the "soliciting contacts" rule.
However, doing so is just the same as making an Announcement posting saying
"I need [xxx]" without any information about where your radio is currently
tuned.  How about "I need Zone 39" in CQ WW?  Personally, I would not do
this in any single-op category and that gets to the second issue.

Spotting stations and using the spots *yourself* is what U category (or SOA
in other contests) is for - go for it.  When posting an "I need X" spot,
though, that is explicitly asking for help from other operators and at the
very least should put the asking station in M category to my way of
thinking.  In times of yore, this could not be done so broadly - for
example, after making an S&P contact, I would be asked "Heard any VE8's?" or
maybe someone would ask on the local 2-meter simplex frequency but it was
not nearly to the degree of putting out a worldwide spot that a particular
multiplier is needed.  Yes, I suppose it's a matter of degree, but spotting
networks amplify the issue by a huge amount.

73, Ward N0AX