Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: "Andrei Stchislenok" <asnp3d@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:31:49 -0500
I like this proposal among others:

<<  4. On-site inspectors, very much like WRTC. >>

IF This would happen - we would be amazed of shrinking results of those
"QRP" and LP champions, tens times lower. To run at 130 Q's plus per hour
within 48 hours with 5 watts output in any major Contest... nice joke

But, this will never take place, I bet...

73's Andrei EW1AR-NP3D

2007/12/9, Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>:

> The heck of it is, all of these steps are readily do-able (except the
> on-site referees).
>
> There is a device called the Time Machine
> (www.expandedspectrumsystems.com), which can record an 80 KHz swath of any
> HF band, and costs only about $175.  Station a dozen of those around the
> world, recording on VHS tape, with good receivers and omni antennas, and
> you can go back to any point in the contest to check what was going on at
> any frequency.
>
> A recording, whether on tape or on computer disk, isn't an unreasonable
> requirement from anyone with a claimed top-ten score in any major
> category.
>
> Contest sponsors should publicly announce that they will apply and enforce
> the sort of analysis that K1TTT has been doing publicly for years.  If
> falsified spots turn up, clearly to the benefit of a given station, that
> station owner should be asked to explain, and if the explanation doesn't
> hold water, he should be DQ'ed.
>
> The key to confronting the cheaters is to do it publicly and
> transparently,
> with stiff penalties.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
>
> At 12:39 AM 12/9/2007, Jim Neiger wrote:...
> >We can all continue to shine it on, or do something about it.  What can
> be
> >done?
> >
> >1.  Permanent or 5 years no participation once DQed
> >
> >2.  Set-up of wideband recording receivers around the world.
> >
> >3.  Submittal of tape recordings by those wishing to compete for world
> >honors.
> >
> >4. On-site inspectors, very much like WRTC.
> >
> >5. Open up log checking and Committee decisions beyond the hands of one
> or
> >two.
> >
> >6. Turn off packet (THIS will never happen; packet is too popular and
> many
> >probably wouldn't know how to operate without)
> >

> >Just some senile ramblings from someone who's been there and got a

73's Andrei
EW1AR-NP3D
WAS RTTY #455 (all via LoTW)