Re: [CQ-Contest] State QSO parties and CW

To: "'W4ZW'" <w4zw@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] State QSO parties and CW
From: "Dennis McAlpine" <dbmcalpine@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:55:18 -0400
I recently completed a fairly extensive analysis of the rules and results
for state QSO Parties and was interested to see that, overall, about half of
the top score QSOs were on cw and half on SSB. But, looking further into it,
I found that in the big QSO Parties, e.g. CA, FL, PA there was a much higher
percentage of QSOs from SSB.  My guess is that it was easier for
participants outside the state to find casual in-state operators, who were
probably not really in the contest but could be enticed into giving out the
needed information.  This could be harder to do on cw than on SSB.

It would also seem that if one did not provide separate cw and SSB
categories, the more dedicated ops would almost be forced to go on SSB to
have a competitive score.  Of course, for non-SSB operators, like me, this
might be a deterrent since I would rather not go chasing around the SSB
frequencies.

73,

Dennis, K2SX