Re: [CQ-Contest] CW SS: Some thoughts

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW SS: Some thoughts
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 13:28:52 -0300
Below (in quotes) I snipped a section from John/AF5CC's reply.  I simply do
not buy into this train of thought.

Unless, there are extenuating circumstances. (IE: You are in a remote
location with no internet, HDD crash, a family emergency forces you off
early, etc.)

So, what would that be..2-5% of the contestants?

So, unless there is a serious issue, you should be able to create a Cabrillo
and upload a very small .log file 5-6 minutes after contest end.

(or even earlier if you decide you're done at some point)

I do it and have done it literally hundreds of times. In most logging
programs it's 2 or 3 button presses, click on your file location on your C:
drive, , save it, go to a web link, (or email it) upload your log after
filling in a small amount of info and bing/bang/boom, you're done.
Fuggidaboudit.

Of course, if you want to scour and scrub your log, yes, of course, it's
gonna take you longer.  Listen to your recordings, correct typos.  Change
reports after consulting qrz.com, Ask your buddies if they worked that S0
station and what was his convoluted suffix. Whatever.

A log should be a reflection of what happened on the air, not some polished
version thereof.  Do not misunderstand, I am not accusing John of this..but
I do know that some cry when they see 'short' deadlines to email/upload
logs.  With an estimated 5 minutes to send it, (if you have internet), I
don't see the issue.

If you invest 24 or 48 hours in a contest, isn't 5 more minutes negligible?
Why do you need/want weeks to get your log to the sponsor?

I am open to having my mind changed.

Mike VE9AA

".One thing I will mention also is that the 5 day window we now have to

submit logs is probably not doing casual contesters any good.  It is easy

to finish a contest, get busy with other things, and all of sudden it is

Friday and you no longer want my log.  Especially when they just changed

the format from emailing it to uploading it.  I can see many casual

contesters saying "The heck with it, my log is late so I am not going to

send it in at all".  Many of them might not really know how or where to

submit a log.  I would like a 10 day or 2 week window at least, does a 5

day window really get results published any quicker than 10 days?

73 John AF5CC."

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB