Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:18:06 -0400
Hello,

I find it curious that people use ICMP rtt to measure anything. This is even flawed in tradition land-based networking for various reasons, however compound the fact that the Karlnet polling algorithm is designed to maximize throughput to satellites who need airtime can easily explain this "jitter" as you call it. If you even moderately load the satellites with traffic, the ICMP rtt times stabilize greatly. I have not corrolated this phenomenon to be associated to lower SNR values, however I have easily seen this on my own networks.

It is not too difficult to explain that appearances can be deceiving. ICMP rtt is not a bandwith measurement tool, it is a REACHABILITY tool. I can understand that if your ICMP rtt is 1000+ms constantly there may be an issue either of bandwith saturation or other (retransmits on your lower SNR satellites???), but if it jumps from 30 to 250 momentarily, this does not represent lack of bandwith, especially when you take into consideration again the polling mechanism.

So, would you rather have a network that _seems_ to have low latency, or do you truly want to maximize what little spectrum can be used to carry data from and to satellites that need it? It may be difficult to explain to a clueless customer that uses whatever el-cheapo network analysis tool ala-Net.Medic, however I think it should be understood by the network operator to at least be able to attempt to explain this to the customer.

My 0.02$,

Chris