Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:42:09 -0400
Norm Young wrote:
Hi Chris,

Perhaps it's a perception problem...but I've been noticing some pretty tough
times on my VOIP phone as well, and I'm wondering where it's coming from.
Do you have an alternative test I can use and show my customers?   They're
going to use ping, and not be happy with the apparent result.

Hello,

You are correct. Obviously, if you have 1000+ms pings constantly that is one thing, but the real solution is (difficult of course) make the customer understand that ICMP is not a measure of speed or performance. Stray "high" ping times (you be the judge of what "high" is) with mostly "normal" (again, "normal" can only be defined by the operator) rtt times is the way Turbocell currently works; continuous high rtt times represent a problem with the network (congestion, retransmits, whatever) and is not a Turbocell problem, it is an installation problem.

Karlnet says they are going to make things look better. Great, as long as you don't lose any throughput while doing it.

Chris