Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter
From: Ryan Walker <rwalker@oacys.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:23:35 -0700
Brett,

If you are referring to the Radio Transmit Rate in the advanced interface setup my understanding of how that works is different than what you mentioned here. Every client and base unit has this setting, and except for the NDIS clients the transmit rate stays constant at the value you set (with the exception of link-test or other special packets). Also, this setting only affects outgoing packets on that device, but the receiving end on those transmissions doesn't need to have as high a rx signal to receive a 5.5M packet as it does to receive an 11M packet. Since noise and low SNR are usually a problem at our bases we will turn down the transmit rate on the clients only for those that are losing packets for client->base.

I would disagree with your second statement, the base station will transmit at whatever rate it is set to (but 11M is not really giving 11M throughput when you count overhead and incoming transmissions, etc.) If you're having trouble losing packets to a specific client you might want to try lowering their radio tx rate...

-Ryan