Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:25:40 -0400

Also, there seems to be some debate about whether this
is a problem or not - can you clarify if Karlnet see
this as a problem or just the nature of how polling
works?
Hello,

I won't speak for Karlnet, however it is mostly a cosmetic problem in the minds of the people who decide that a few 200ms RTT = slow. However, there is some discussion as to low SNR showing poor throughput, which I have not seen in my networks. I have not personally seen this, probably because I like to set the satellites at 5.5Mbps and this increases their sensitivity. Have the 15dB or less people tried this? You can still leave the base at 11Mbps. I even have some very poor (< 10db) satellites at 2Mbps; this sacrifices some upstream speed, however they can download at the full rate with fewer problems (ie fewer retransmits from the base).

Karlnet is consistently working to improve their polling algorithm, and if they can make it "look" faster to the people who like to see consistent 30ms or less on IDLE satellites without sacrificing possible throughput gains on active satellites, good for them. I personally have not seen the need (other than the educational one) to stabilize rtt when the client is doing nothing!

The fact of the matter is, ICMP round trip times are not a benchmark of anything other than the fact the packet made it all the way back. They can be used as a guide or indication of latency, but you also have to understand the transport media (in this case, Turbocell) to judge if a few stray 300ms packets compared to relative traffic levels truly indicate poor performance.

Again, believe what you want and throw away your Karlnet and buy other products if that is your inclination. You can also study your network with better tools and make up your mind as to the throughput you can obtain from it.

Chris