[Karlnet] Coming soon, satellite competition 1.5M/.5

Subject: [Karlnet] Coming soon, satellite competition 1.5M/.5
From: "Norm Young" <lists@applegatebroadband.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:58:37 -0700
I've been reading recently (or just looking under the bed at night :) )
about a VSAT satellite service that is slated to go online early 2004.
This service is going to be 1.5-3.0M/500k, with a 300mS ping through their
network.   Pricing is supposed to be between cable and existing satellite
(so, probably $40-50/mo.), with a $500 install (even though, out the gate,
the CPE cost to the company is $600).

I'm just wondering what the response from our industry is going to be.  Are
we going to match speeds?  If so, we are going to need 11g, and 11a support
from Karlnet fairly soon.

The pricing seems awfully low, and I know that WildBlue has been talking up
their network for many moons...without any rubber actually hitting the road.
However, it looks like they are getting a launch on one of Canada's
satellites this fall, and their own is being worked on by Loral again after
a capital infusion by some rural ILECs earlier this year.  (Who else would
be upset at VOIP offerings from WISPs?)

I'm not sure what sort of application killer 300mS is going to be.   I'm
assuming that it will rule out VOIP (increasingly popular, especially with
AT&T's new VOIP offering
http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwidth/newnetworksarticle.asp?ID=8669), and
gaming.  However, WildBlue claims that VPNs will work, which in my case will
siphon off my business customers, providing I don't offer competitive
pricing/performance.

Thoughts?

Norm