Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] RE: Ping Jitter
From: Ryan Walker <rwalker@oacys.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:45:59 -0700
At 01:24 PM 9/12/2003, you wrote:
> The problem that I am seeing is not only dropped
> pings on links with perfect
> SNR (25?) but complete outages for the CPE for a few
> minutes, sometimes.

Yes, I'm seeing this too but only on a few clients. At
least only a few clients have reported the problem.
The outages are always brief and the signal strengths
are good. I assume this is the same problem - can you
confirm Kevin? If so, you can save me (and others)
some time troubleshooting the issue and I will just
wait for the next update.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul - I believe that I had the same problem here. We would have clients call us saying that their connection was down, we looked in the station list on the base and they were listed, yet we were unable to ping their radio or computer. In tracking this down I found that our network was occasionally being flooded by incoming pings that were generating a large number of broadcast ARP packets from the router (this was DoS traffic from the blaster.d worm coming in over the Internet). I realized that most all of our radios (base and client) had the storm threshold settings filled in - we never really thought it would block traffic unless there was a major problem since the threshold was 60pkts/sec. I used a firewall rate limiter to block those DoS packets and our problem was solved. The problem started about a month ago (about the time blaster.d was in the wild). You might want to look into this, we decided to only leave the threshold setting for the client Ethernet side. Good luck!

-Ryan