RFI

[RFI] BPL alternatives

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL alternatives
From: watson at sierracmp.com (George K. Watson)
Date: Fri Aug 15 18:40:57 2003
Most of the satellite services are plagued by various problems and have
received a pretty bad reputation as a result. One, I believe, is in
receivership. Another has been sued by its subscribers. One of the major
problems is that the costing model and the current competitive climate force
the operators to oversubscribe the satellites. Also rain/snow fade is
heavily reported, along with abysmal customer service.
The wireless stuff works pretty well for the boondocks, I am managing
director of an internet coop that runs wireless,
http://www.magnoliaroad.net. We have 150 members, 9 POPs, and good relations
with everyone, ham and non-ham, in our community.

George K. Watson
K0IW