RFI

Re: [RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:25:41 -0800 (PST)
So that everyone is not scared away from HF mobile with the newer vehicles, I
would like to say that I have three GMC gas engine pickups in the last 16 years
and they all have been very quiet.

  Only problem I have had was years ago running CW with an amp changed the
speed on  the cruise control.

  1. Route cables and coax away from EVERYTHING.

  2. Proper antenna location and GROUNDING of the antenna.

  3. Use Ferrite beads on the cables and coax.

  4.  Ground your equipment properly.

  For my situations these are my order of importance.  (Just as an experiment,
I have disconnected the radio equipment ground and didn't notice any difference
with 100 Watts HF)

  Mike
  AD6AA