RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI, Power Company.

To: "'rfi Reflector'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI, Power Company.
From: "Ed K0iL" <eddieedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 15:53:11 -0500
Thanks Bob!  You are correct, it is "arc".  I misspell a different word
everyday ever since my craniotomy.  ;-)  And otto spelczech doesn't always
help me, and sometimes copies my errors.  Hey we all make mistakes, right
Bob -K6U?

Responding to Kurt's e-mail:
Kurt perhaps you are working with a smaller co-op utility and not a larger
utility?  If I called our electric company's customer call center, they will
not know the difference between an arc and a spark, but the experienced line
tech probably will in many cases.  The line tech, in most cases, will not
come out and search for a simple RFI sparking noise that's causing radio
interference until the RFI investigator finds the pole or source of the
noise for them.  They don't have time for that.  Once they think a ham or
even an RFI tech is trying to pull a fast one with them, good luck getting a
good response out of them in the near future.

RFI definitions of arc and spark might help.  The Interference Handbook by
Nelson/Orr refer to power line RFI as a "spark discharge" because the
discharge is very short (milli or microseconds) in length and repeated but
not continuous.   "AC Power Interference Handbook" [
http://www.arrl.org/shop/AC-Power-Interference-Handbook ] also uses similar
language.   The ARRL RFI Book says "A sustained spark is often called an
'arc'."  Then they also refer to power line RFI as "spark-type"
interference.

Electric power systems have hundreds sparking sources nearly everywhere on
power lines, and they are not a safety issue like arcing is.  So I agree
arcing should be called in as arcing.  But RFI should be called in as TV or
Radio Interference in order to get the proper technician sent out on the
call.

I understand your goal is to get the power company to respond fast to the
phone call so I can see why you might want to try calling it arcing to get a
fast response.  If that worked for you, good!  With most utilities I still
recommend being honest and open about what the RFI problem really is by
calling it "Radio Interference" if you want to get a good response and
relationship for future calls, and there will be future calls for most
active hams on HF bands.

If you're unlucky enough to have a power company who is not responsive, it
might be because some other ham or hams have already tried some "angle" on
them before so they're a bit tired of that by the time you called it in.  Or
in other cases, their new management has cut back on the RFI budget and they
need a letter from the FCC to get them back on track.  I've seen both
happen.  In either case, playing a new "angle" (new only to you) is not
going to be the best way to proceed in my opinion.  But you know what they
say about opinions...

73, de ed -K0iL
Ed Edwards