Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:27:30 -0400 (EDT)
>Normally on this and other reflectors, when a person
>has a financial interest in the subject under discussion,
>the poster will add a disclaimer. Have you ever seen a
>disclaimer from Joe? I never have.

Lets test that theory ...

So N6TR always states his relationship with TR?
So K8CC always states his relationship with NA?
So N1MM always states his relationship with N1MM?
So W5XD always states his relationship with Writelog?
So K7LXC ... and so on ... and so on.

I don't think so. When you ran out of facts <just like you
do every year>, you started making it personal by hinting
Joe was "dense". Last year when people disagreed with you,
you then accused them of being drunk. Nice.

A SO1R station can use MicroHam products, so your argument
is void and was no more than ANOTHER cheap shot at Joe.

When I built up my first SO2R setup, I did not use MicroHam
gear, so how did Joe benefit?

I do not believe it's any secret as to Joe and his
relationship with MicroHam, I consider it a positive.

>I do not know how to make my position any more clear.

Bill, here is what your position appears to be to me
and perhaps I am alone, but then again perhaps not.

Your callsign used to be W7TI and when I first started
trying out RTTY, I recall your call always being up in
the top ten scores. No doubt you probably have a number
of certificates to show for such. That is really great.

Back then SO2R existed, but was not in use as much as
the SO1R setups like you ran at the time, at least not
on RTTY as compared to CW and SSB ... that was then.

Times have changed, lots more folks on the mode now and
the level of competition has gone up RAPIDLY. No longer
can W7TI/W6WRT "win" anymore with the SAME effort of the
past. Your posts now seem to discount the SKILL factor.

With AA5AU and others who use SO2R now in the top ten,
and often at the top slot, your attitude has gone very
negative as seen in these ever so frequent outbusts.

You have seem to have decided that those SO2R types are
the reason no one sees W6WRT in the 'top ten' anymore.

You are demanding that YOU have YOUR OWN class, SO1R, so
you can "win" again. That's the real bottom line here.

So "we" have to go through this sad drill over and over.

Bill, what are you going to complain about should a SO1R
class be established and the top SO2R ops decide to move
to that class ... then what? Will "we" see you try SO2R?

I say TRY ... as I do not believe you have ever done ANY
SO2R operating ... yet seem to be an expert of what it is
and post about all the magical advantage that comes with
SO2R when you have NO real world experience.

That would be ZERO QSOs with you as a SO2R OP out of what
was it, forty-something thousand you boasted of.

Here's an idea ... someone loan Bill another radio and
antenna, and Bill you use them and show us the quick 40%
increase in your score over your best 1 radio effort.

Prove your point once and for all on facts, as you seem
to shout WRONG to all of the real experiences of others.

Bill, I used to view you as a wise mentor of the RTTY mode.
And I appreciate the guidance you gave me in my early years.

Now, you have become a bitter person and prone to make very
ugly comments about any of those who disagree with you.

Last week on the TowerTalk reflector I saw similar behavior
from you in your discussions on "Single Point Grounds".

The SO2R gripe has little to do with encouraging new operators
to try RTTY ... no, at the end of the day, seems it's all about
Bill wanting the game played his way so he can "win" again.

Again, that how I see it, and perhaps I am wrong ... but I
am afraid I am closer to being right, and that saddens my
heart as I used to respect you as a great RTTY operator.

Here's to a better <and not bitter> day for all!

Billy, AA4NU