Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:42:03 -0700
My comments interspersed below.

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:27:30 -0400 (EDT), Billy Cox
<aa4nu@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>>Normally on this and other reflectors, when a person
>>has a financial interest in the subject under discussion,
>>the poster will add a disclaimer. Have you ever seen a
>>disclaimer from Joe? I never have.
>
>Lets test that theory ...
>
>So N6TR always states his relationship with TR?
>So K8CC always states his relationship with NA?
>So N1MM always states his relationship with N1MM?
>So W5XD always states his relationship with Writelog?
>So K7LXC ... and so on ... and so on.

When those folks are pushing their products, directly or indirectly,
they should add a disclaimer. If N6TR answers a question about "what
is the best contest software?" I expect a disclaimer. When W4TV wants
to keep SO1R operators lumped together with SO2R operators, thereby
encouraging people to upgrade to SO2R equipment, I expect a
disclaimer. In the case of N1MM, his product is free and a disclaimer
has no financial purpose.

>I don't think so. When you ran out of facts <just like you
>do every year>, you started making it personal by hinting
>Joe was "dense". Last year when people disagreed with you,
>you then accused them of being drunk. Nice.

The "iridium" comment was intended as a joke. Sorry it fell flat. As
to the drunk thing, I don't recall it at all but I'll bet it was like
the other. If my humor escapes you, too bad. I do not do personal
attacks in any serious way. Never have, never will.

>A SO1R station can use MicroHam products, so your argument
>is void and was no more than ANOTHER cheap shot at Joe.

My comments are focused on his SO2R products. As a matter of fact I
own a microHAM SO1R product myself. Ask Joe.

>When I built up my first SO2R setup, I did not use MicroHam
>gear, so how did Joe benefit?

I have no idea. What is behind your question?

>I do not believe it's any secret as to Joe and his
>relationship with MicroHam, I consider it a positive.

I also consider it a positive, provided there is a disclaimer when
appropriate. I am a microHAM customer, remember.

>>I do not know how to make my position any more clear.
>
>Bill, here is what your position appears to be to me
>and perhaps I am alone, but then again perhaps not.
>
>Your callsign used to be W7TI and when I first started
>trying out RTTY, I recall your call always being up in
>the top ten scores. No doubt you probably have a number
>of certificates to show for such. That is really great.
>
>Back then SO2R existed, but was not in use as much as
>the SO1R setups like you ran at the time, at least not
>on RTTY as compared to CW and SSB ... that was then.
>
>Times have changed, lots more folks on the mode now and
>the level of competition has gone up RAPIDLY. No longer
>can W7TI/W6WRT "win" anymore with the SAME effort of the
>past. Your posts now seem to discount the SKILL factor.
no
You are making my point for me. My skill peaked long ago and nowdays
my butt is getting whipped by the two radio guys every time. I don't
mind losing on the basis of skill, but I don't like losing on the
basis of hardware. That is why, when I run high power as I nearly
always do, I want and expect the low power guys to have their own
category. I DO NOT want to beat them because I have an amplifier and
they don't. The same applies to a second radio. I love competition
when it is fair. I do not want a guaranteed win; I want to do it the
right way. I abhor the idea that anyone has to purchase a second radio
to be competitive. I think that is going to keep newcomers out of the
hobby and eventually destroy contesting. Indicentally, I own two
radios myself. I simply prefer the traditional style of operating.
There is nothing wrong with SO2R. I encourage people who like the idea
to do it. I always have. Nobody should have to buy an amplifier to be
competitive, nobody should have to buy a second radio either.

>With AA5AU and others who use SO2R now in the top ten,
>and often at the top slot, your attitude has gone very
>negative as seen in these ever so frequent outbusts.

Right. I am very negative toward anything that harms RTTY and RTTY
contesting. By the way, my eBay login is "rtty_forever" and has been
for years. I am a diehard about RTTT and about RTTY contesting and I
want what is best for the hobby.

>You have seem to have decided that those SO2R types are
>the reason no one sees W6WRT in the 'top ten' anymore.

That is correct, as I stated above.

>You are demanding that YOU have YOUR OWN class, SO1R, so
>you can "win" again. That's the real bottom line here.

In a twisted-around way, you are right, except it isn't me alone. It
is me and all the other folks who prefer SO1R. And there are a lot of
them, BTW. I have received numerous emails off the reflector
supporting my point of view.

>So "we" have to go through this sad drill over and over.
>
>Bill, what are you going to complain about should a SO1R
>class be established and the top SO2R ops decide to move
>to that class ... then what? Will "we" see you try SO2R?

I don't mind getting whupped by a better operator. I don't like
getting whupped by a second radio.

>I say TRY ... as I do not believe you have ever done ANY
>SO2R operating ...yet seem to be an expert of what it is
>and post about all the magical advantage that comes with
>SO2R when you have NO real world experience.  >That would be
ZERO QSOs with you as a SO2R OP out of what
>was it, forty-something thousand you boasted of.

You would be wrong. I operate SO2R for five or six contests back in
the '90s and didn't care for it. Check the really old archives and you
will see where I made that statement before.

>Here's an idea ... someone loan Bill another radio and
>antenna, and Bill you use them and show us the quick 40%
>increase in your score over your best 1 radio effort.

Got my own second radio, thanks. Got a second antenna too, left over
from my SO2R experience. There was a boost in my score, although not
40%, but then I don't claim to be in the same league as AA%AU. A
superb operator like Don would cream me in any class. My only hope is
for him to catch the flu. (Note: that was another joke. Don't start
saying I wish the flu on people).

>Prove your point once and for all on facts, as you seem
>to shout WRONG to all of the real experiences of others.

Hold on there pardner. What did I say that was WRONG about somebody
else's experience? Everyone from AA5AU on down says two radios is a
significant advantage, else why would they bother? People do not
obtain a second radio and all the hardware and acquire the skill for
zero advantage, do they?

>Bill, I used to view you as a wise mentor of the RTTY mode.
>And I appreciate the guidance you gave me in my early years.
>
>Now, you have become a bitter person and prone to make very
>ugly comments about any of those who disagree with you.

Sorry I have lost your faith and respect, but I am the same guy I
always was. Always will be.

>Last week on the TowerTalk reflector I saw similar behavior
>from you in your discussions on "Single Point Grounds".

For those not aware of the above, I criticized the use of the phrase
"Single Point Ground" as being confusing in a system with at least one
or more other grounds present. Another ham who teaches about lightning
protection agreed with me and also called for use of another term to
replace it. Did I do a bad thing?

>The SO2R gripe has little to do with encouraging new operators
>to try RTTY ... no, at the end of the day, seems it's all about
>Bill wanting the game played his way so he can "win" again.

Sigh. Of course I want to win. I play the contest game for real, not
for laughs. But I want to win against other ops who are playing the
same game in the same way. And it has EVERYTHING to do with attracting
new contesters. There needs to be a way for a newbie to be competitive
and have fun without having to buy more hardware than is in his shack
already.

>Again, that how I see it, and perhaps I am wrong ... but I
>am afraid I am closer to being right, and that saddens my
>heart as I used to respect you as a great RTTY operator.

I haven't changed, Billy. Contestng has changed.

73, Bill W6WRT