Re: [RTTY] New Winlink usage

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New Winlink usage
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:55:13 +0000
Actually, I thought the point that NQ4U was trying to make is that much of the
time when there's an issue with Winlink QRM in North America, it's likely
because an actual human simply clicked "connect", perhaps disregarding warnings
about the frequency being occupied, and without listening an appropriate length
of time to see if the frequency is in use.

This doesn't, of course, alleviate the need for effective
listen-before-transmit on the automated station's side...but it should
partially deflate the concerns about Winlink nodes connecting amongst
themselves in a fully automated manner, at least within areas under the FCC's
jurisdiction.   This also doesn't alleviate the need for Airmail users to
exercise extra care, using their ears since Airmail lacks RMS Express' spectrum
display.   And, this doesn't excuse the occasional Winlink sysop who sets up
their node either outside the automated subbands, or with more than 500Hz
badwidth configured.

--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org