Re: [RTTY] Greater than 600 watts for RTTY

To: "John Barber" <john@bordertech.co.uk>, "'Thom'" <ki8w@ki8w.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Greater than 600 watts for RTTY
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 19:09:58 -0500
The sorts of problems you have with higher power in the modern era tend to be in RF pickup on the cable/internet boxes like ATT Uverse, etc. The old stuff like phones & TV are not primary issues. The digital modes tend to be more resistant to interference but the issue is more binary - meaning up to a point, the RF from your shack is not an issue, and then a few dB more and the box shows some issue. Meaning it's entirly possible that you may be able to run high power and have no neighbor grumbling at all. Or you may bump the power up by some fractional dB and hit a limit which pushes the guys box over to a fault. Hard to know.

The good news is that if you have some bucks you can buy a box of type 31 ferrites and in almost every case there is some sufficient application of the ferrites to the suffering box that will keep it happy even with your full power transmission. The caveat here is that the closer the neighbor is to your antennas, the more ferrites you will need.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: John Barber