Re: [TenTec] New group for Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New group for Orion
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:53:58 -0700
There have been a number of good points made about this issue. Without taking any particular
side, let me throw in some ideas from direct experience.

How many of you know that there is also a Ten-Tec list at QTH.net? Well, there is, and it's
about 500 members strong (I administer that list as well) with very little activity. The other day
I added a sentence to the info page about that at last, basically saying that the "real" T-T list is at
contesting.com - come on over! I can imagine that a lot of the members there were told, "You
really should join the T-T list" only to have subscribed to that one instead of this one. I have no
idea how many other T-T lists may be in existence but, as far as I'm concerned, this is the "main"
list.

Having looked at the number of members who unsubscribed from this list over the past several weeks
(and people unsubscribe for all sorts of reasons; lack of activity and too much activity) there is some
sort of trend. I'm not sure whether they leave because of the Orion discussions, which are most welcome
here. I tend to have little sympathy for those who would rather complain on the list than use the
DELETE key or set up filters.

Anyway, this list will keep going, with its present near-800 membership or 8. But, for my money, I'd
rather see all of the activity here; certainly, it's more convenient.

Food for thought; nothing else.

BTW, there has been a worthy suggestion that, if specialty lists like Orion, Jupiter, Pegasus and the like
really are necessary, they should also be on contesting.com. I'm willing to take that issue up with the
server owner(s), but I'd think that they would want a lot of justification for splitting up this list.

73 de Jim - AD6CW