Re: [TenTec] The Great Debate

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Great Debate
From: Richard Hemingway <rheming1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:24:09 -0600
Jeff,

I am right where you are thinking of going. I sold an Icom 756 PROII, my Winchester 101 over and under shotgun and some McIntosh stereo equipment and first bought a Jupiter. I really liked it but I have been fascinated by the Orion and was really looking to it. I kept the Jupiter for about three weeks and sent it back and ordered a "demo" Orion, which arrived two days ago.

I am still learning what all the buttons and menus do and how they work (a labor of love I might add). In my earlier life I owned a TT Omni VI and a scout and earlier yet a Yeasu FD 1000D.
So far I am not at all sorry that I sold all that stuff above and really like the Orion. It is a keeper. I do find that I liked the display better on the Jupiter. I wish you could control the brightness on the Orion disply. You can adjust the contrast and whether it is white on black or black on white. It is a little too bright and looks somewhat washed out.

The little I have used it, it has better RX than the Jupiter or the Icom. BTW the low end of the Orion sub-Rx is much better than on the Jupiter.

BTW the five pin DIN cable ( it was an 8 pin for the Icom and used with the SignaLink interface for PSK31 - which I made a 5 pin by clipping off three pins and re-wiring the SignaLink for TT rigs) works just fine with the Orion.

Take care and good luck,

73,

Dick, N5XRD

I am debating whether to sell my four Ten Tec radios to purchase
an Orion.  The four I have are an Omni C, Corsair II, Omni VI/opt1
and a Jupiter - all in great shape.