Re: [TenTec] 1208 Transverter

To: N4PY <n4py@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1208 Transverter
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:16:11 -0600
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 13:41 -0500, N4PY wrote:
> These 2 diodes are on the 14 MHz path, not the 50 MHz path.
>
> Carl Moreschi N4PY
> 121 Little Bell Drive
> Bell Mountain
> Hays, NC 28635

But on receive they see the whole RF bandwidth, at least 5 or 6 MHz, and
on transmit they see all the components of the transmitted SSB signal.
In either case they can contribute intermod products, which on the
transmit side may be masked by poor bias on the transmit stages.

I've found the transmit signal quality on my 1209 is noticeably improved
(the station I'm working notices) when I hard key it to get full bias on
the transmit power stages. If you aren't measuring 3rd and 5th order
intermod products, the effects of the different diodes may not be
obvious, but they may be obvious to others listening to the splatter
halfway across the country.

73, Jerry, K0CQ