Re: [TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:21:01 -0600
On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 10:43 -0400, Carter wrote:
> Group, sorry for the OT of the OT...looks like this thread "migrated" a
> bit.   <grin>
>
> Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>
> >  Last month I was touring the outside part of the air museum at
> >  Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City when a B1B took off and kicked in the
> >  afterburners. It was LOUD on the ground half a mile or more from the
> >  run way, and leaving at a few hundred mph.
>
> No experience with the B-1, but I was a radio man in the Air National
> Guard and one of our duties was called "last chance"...we had a spare
> radio (ARC-34)  in case the radio failed moments before takeoff. You
> haven't lived until you are standing on the wing of a jet with its
> engines lit, changing the radio, hoping the intake didn't suck in a
> piece of safety wire, one of your tools or YOU into the engine. We would
> have to stay on the runway until the plane took off and forget your
> ears, the afterburners on the F-106s would just absolutely cause your
> entire chest cavity to vibrate -- the strangest sensation.

The B-1B was about that loud with the afterburners kicked in.

> >  At Washington U (St. Louis)...
>
> My son graduated cum laude from Wash U; great school, damnable summer
> heat and humidity.

Congrats to your son. I graduated, not with honors, but I took too many
advanced and honors sequence courses and fell in amongst the really
great geniuses that carried 22 semester hours with straight As while
working 40 hour work weeks. I couldn't keep up with them and I shouldn't
have tried.

I live in Iowa now, but I've seen worse heat and humidity. Like Dallas,
where the prevailing breeze is off the gulf 350 miles away. I remember
seeing fog mornings at 90 degrees air temperature. That's far more humid
than St. Louis. After 40 years in Iowa this time, that humidity would
make me hurt. I was out in NW SD last month and to me the climate was
DRY, but the locals were complaining with the dew point up to 50 degrees
(and hitting 80 during the days), what we'd call overly dry.

73, Jerry, K0CQ