Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver

To: n4py3@earthlink.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver
From: Doc <k0evzdoc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 10:33:22 -0700
Carl, this appears to be basically the effect I remember and which I
believe would do the job.  The lows are one side, the highs on the
other......and the received signals' are sorta floating in a virtual space
in the listener's head.  Then all he has to do is to sort out the desired
signal.  I owned a 20m receiver which did this, and effect was magical.

Now I am looking for something which can do the same thing.  But I have
come to understand that the solution could be far simpler.  Someone has
mentioned that he will put together a LC network which will simply plug
into the headphone jack of my rig.  Fingers crossed (g).

73,
---Doc/K0EVZ

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Carl Moreschi <n4py3@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Yes, and I believe this was slightly different from Binaural receive. The
> idea was different pitch signals would seem to come from different
> directions.  Low pitch was all the way to the left and high pitch was all
> the way to the right with other pitches in between.  I never could get used
> to it but the idea was a good one.
>
> Carl Moreschi N4PY
> 58 Hogwood Rd
> Louisburg, NC 27549
> www.n4py.com
>

> On 1/2/2017 11:59 AM, Charles Shaw wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm reading from the digest so this info may already have appeared on
>> the list by the time you see this.
>>
>> The Ten-Tec Orion (and I suppose the Orion II) was built with a feature
>> which was called Panoramic Stereo. This is NOT the same thing as
>> diversity reception which requires two antennas feeding two receivers.
>> Pan-Stereo is accomplished by DSP with one receiver using one antenna. I
>> no longer have an Orion manual, but I feel certain that this is covered
>> in those. Even if not, there was a three-page brochure by Doug Smith,
>> KF6DX, then at Ten-Tec, titled 'Panoramic Stereo Reception: The New CW
>> Advantage'. He said, "Panoramic stereo is designed for use with
>> headphones, but you can still appreciate the effect with loudspeakers."
>> I always used it in CW contests.
>>
>> If someone really needs a copy of this, I might be persuaded to scan and
>> email it. But, I think the Orion manuals should suffice.
>>
>> 73,
>> Charles - N5UL
>> Hobbs, NM

Doc/K0EVZ