[Towertalk] lmr 400 question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] lmr 400 question
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com (Cqtestk4xs@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:19:09 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/02 3:57:25 PM Greenwich Standard Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:

<<
    HUH?   My RG213 cables seem to be holding up OK
    after 10 to 20 years service.  Replacing every six months
    seems 'excessive' IMHO.  After all of your weatherproofing
    measures, what exactly do you believe is deteriorating
    at a 6 month rate?  N4KG  >>

Agreed, I just got done taking my 5 el 20 meter down off the top of the tower
where it was up there for almost five years.  The PL 259 and the barrel
connector were as shiny as the day I put them up.  My secret......cheap
Scotch electrical tape put on in several layers and then coated with liquid
electrical tape once or twice.  I have never had a problem with water
intrusion doing this.

For really problem areas which are totally inaccessible once the antenna is
up.....repeat the above several times.

By the way, I have used 9913 for lots of pigtails and have never had a
problem with breaking the center conductor for over 15 years.  Anything I
install now though is flexible LMR 400.

Bill K4XS