Re: [TowerTalk] How Helically Wound Verticals Really Work (was : Vertica

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How Helically Wound Verticals Really Work (was : Vertical dipoles)
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:04:03 +0000
Rick,

A very interesting topic!

When I try modelling a helical vertical in EZNEC (zero wire loss) and
then compare it with the same length straight vertical (zero wire loss)
I do see a slightly increased Rrad for the helical. It's enough that it
shows up as slightly more efficient if you throw in some ground losses.

Once I include wire losses and add a Q=400 base loading coil for the
straight vertical, the total losses appear to be within 1dB of each
other, with the helical having the edge. If I mid-load the straight
vertical with a similar Q loading coil, its increased Rrad means it
beats the helical by about 1dB.

I wonder if you have done any similar modelling and have you found the
helical at a more significant disadvantage?

73,
Steve G3TXQ