[TowerTalk] PowerPole connectors - speakers, solar system

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PowerPole connectors - speakers, solar system
From: Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 07:39:55 -0500
Folks,

I found another very handy use for Anderson Powerpole connectors. Since they come in multiple colors with the same pins, I chose to use orange and brown for all speakers and devices with 8Z audio output (amplifiers, receivers, transceivers). With over a dozen radios and different speakers, it is a snap to swap speakers from one rig to another. To prevent the possibility of an accidental insertion into a red/black DC line, I flipped the speaker power pole connector 180deg from the DC connector.

Likewise, I use the green powerpoles with #10 green wire to tie each rig and device to the station ground buss with #0000 back to the nine-ground rod system at the base of the tower.

For DC power, my shack is powered by a small solar system consisting of nine 15W panels, a MPPT charge controller and two 100AH deep-cycle batteries. I have one 8-position West Mountain 45A powerpole panel for plugging in several transceivers and, two West Mountain 4004 panels with USB connectors for charging our cell phones and i-Pads. For devices requiring AC (rotors, computers, DSL, router & wireless, CFL's, etc), I have a 300W and 600W pure sine wave inverters with 100A powerpoles directly at the battery terminals.

The powerpole connectors make it very easy to swap loads to sources of power, not to mention making field events very easy to setup. I do have a couple of Astron RM-50A power supplies with powerpoles to cut over to in the event a contest drains the solar system.

Bottom line for powerpoles is that they are a standardized method of creating flexibility with single, dual and multi-wire systems. Since they come in ten colors, and stack vertically and horizontally, they might de useful for rotor and controller circuits. And they are cheap relative to the cost of everything else in the shack.

73 Bill N4LG