Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] [amsat-bb] 5 Band VUCC Award

To: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] [amsat-bb] 5 Band VUCC Award
From: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 12:23:50 -0500
An idea I have been kicking around would be a VUCC challenge, like the DXCC
Challenge on HF, 160, and 6 meters. You add together your grid totals from
all VHF and UHF bands, and include satellites, and the higher score each
year would get a trophy.  This should get people interested in adding
additional bands to their setup.

There could be a plaque issued when you reach some level of grid totals.
For the DXCC Challenge is it 1000 band countries, with endorsements being
added to that at specific levels.  May 500 band grids would be the plaque
level.   I think that there should be some stipulation added that you must
have worked say 20 grids on 3 different bands to get the initial plaque.
This would keep someone from getting the initial plaque just by using 6
meters or the satellites.  I love 6 meters and the satellites, but doing it
on 1 band would kind of violate the spirit of the award. Also, for the DXCC
Challenge you would have to use 3 bands minimum to get to 1000 band
countries.  You couldn't do it on just 20 meters.

Any thoughts  on this idea?

73 John AF5CC