[AMPS] ARRL and QST

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARRL and QST
From: k1ta@earthlink.net (Bob Marston)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:47:30 -0800
At 08:54 PM 1/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
>You have totaly misunderstood what I have been sayin or misconstrued it.
>This is not only cw that I have referring to (and I probably should have
>mentioned it previously)I hate to see cw being sidelined because of
>disintrest and turning to other things.  I believe that one should have a
>complete knowledge of the radio spectrum and that to throw one away because
> some believe that it is archaic will be a loss to all.

You're advancing a facile arguement. To say that cw will be sidelined
because a codeless HF license comes into existance is a leap in logic not
substantiated by fact.

>I do not really believe that a person has to work for years to attain the
>level of 13 words per min. I am not real good at cw and I will be the first
>to admit it but I can copy about 15 to 18 words per min. without working
>for years at it.  now I grant you the level of comprehension between
>different individuals is not the same but 'years'?? come on now, I think
>that every one can learn 15 without too much trouble. I would like to learn
>a great deal more about amp building but the tech stuff still gives me
>trouble and I had military 'A' and 'P' schools but I am not advocating
>getting rid of the written test because it is hard for me, I will apply
>myself and research the manuals and ask questions and it will come to me.

Two Points   'believe' is the operative word. It is a well known and
documented fact that anyone who limits their code copying capability to
counting dots and dashes will never be able to copy Morse code faster than
10 WPM no matter how hard they try for as long as they try. And I've seen
people struggle at this barrier for several years before giving up. That is
why 13 WPM was chosen as the cw test speed for General. The copier must be
able to grasp the entire pattern of the character sent. Once this threshold
has been crossed ones code speed will advance to 30 WPM at which point the
copier must be able to recognize the pattern of the entire word sent in
order to increase his/her speed. Different people have different
capabilities. It's be found that people with a musical backround can blow
through these barriers with ease while others can't get through the first
no matter how hard they try.

2nd Point  Your second arguement makes another leap. Because I advocate for
a no code HF license you imply that I want to do away with cw testing and
cw exclusive subbands. I have said no such thing. The two can and do
coexist together. More on this in my response to N4XY

73s

Bob K1TA