[AMPS] 3/2 power law and Rich's very wide signal

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3/2 power law and Rich's very wide signal
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:02:34 -0700

>Steve says:
>
>>What is a reasonable value for the source impedance of the rectifier.
>
>I looked this up and posted it a while back. The rectifier resistance is of
>the order of 8 to 15 ohms (it varies with current) so the total source
>resistnace isn't going to exceed about 350 to 400 ohms. The original G2DAF
>used a total of .007 microfarads screen bypassing/ reservoir capacity, so
>the the tc is a bit under 3 microseconds. So if it takes 5 tc's to charge, I
>make it that 99.33% of the voltage will be reached in under 15 microseconds.
>So the bandwidth of the system (from rise time multiplied by bandwidth =
>.35) is about 23kHz. As this is about 10 times the signal bandwidth, prima
>facie, there shouldn't be a problem.

In the observed feculence area -  DAFs seemingly perform roughly 10x
better on two-tone tests than they do in on the air voice tests.  During
two-tone tests, screen potential is constant.  During voice operation,
screen potential is not constant. Why are we arguing about whether or not
one can keep a screen bypass C sufficiently charged at all times during
voice operation?  I say do it or rue it.

>And I still don't like the G2DAF! Don't forget that at the time, there was a
>lot of argument in the RSGB Technical Committee circles about it; G6JP (who
>worked in the design, manufacture and applications of valves for the M-O
>Valve company all his working life and served on some of the International
>Electrotechnical Committees as a UK delegate) openly criticised the design
>in the letters page of the RSGB Bulletin, as it then was, on grounds of
>linearity.

good show

>Technicalities apart, there was a definite attitude in some parts of RSGB at
>that time that anything G2DAF did or said was right, and those disagreeing
>were cast beyond the pale into the outer darkness with much wailing and
>gnashing of teeth......

Indeed, indeed.  Based on what I have heard so far, my guess is that
Thornley was a charismatic person who was skilled at fulfilling unmet
needs of the ''inner-child''  (John Bradshaw).  This is basically what
Bagwan Rajneesh did for members of his cult.  .  In my opinion,
fulfilling unfulfilled needs is perhaps the greatest of human weaknesses.
   However, this area is undoubtedly a two-way street.  The Bagwan played
the role of the missing dad.  The followers played the role of
unfulfilled children.

> ....a number of professional engineers working in SSB
>design were 'sidelined' out of the way of RSGB position for disagreeing,

Disagreeing with a charismatic person is a risky pursuit.   Those who
question the beloved guru / father-figure  must contend with attacks by
faithful lap-dogs/true believers.  . .  So far, I have received two death
threats from devout followers of a charismatic person.

> as
>I heard it. One of the guys who told me a lot of this has just gone SK,
>unfortunately.

The only thing that a man can take with him into the land of silent-keys
is respect.

cheers, Peter

end