[AMPS] ssr's in qro amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ssr's in qro amps
From: w4pj@bellsouth.net (Scott Hotchkiss)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:42:43 -0400

--------------B39B2BCB8F2D5B176C0F3EEB

Hey Larry,
 How many times and you still didn't get the message?
Dang! It only took me once.

de (Scott) W4PJ

KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT !!!

Larry Molitor wrote:

> At 05:31 AM 6/26/00 +0200, Peter Sundberg wrote:
>
> > >In this ham shack I have a rule: There will be NO high voltage present
> > >anywhere during receive mode. Period. Non-negotiable. End of discussion.
> >
> >Larry, I see absolutely no reason for this.
> >It will only make things more complicated, and serves no purpose.
>
> Peter, are you trying to tell me that high voltage on is a safer condition
> than high voltage off?
>
> >220V AC
> >(Europe) is just as lethal as HV and we find that in all power supplies in
> >the shack . Why not switch off the 220V AC too during receive mode.. ?  :-)
>
> I do. The 120 main stays on to run the receiver.
>

> >The way to preserve safety is to use good cables, good connectors and to
> >think twice before sticking your fingers into ANY equipment.
>
> Many years ago, after the second time I woke up on the wrong side of the
> room with smoke curling from my fingers, I had an epiphany. It went along
> the lines of "three strikes - you're out!".
>
> Since each time this occurred, the equipment was in the receive mode, I
> sensed a pattern. It seemed my befuddled brain insisted that since the
> receiver was on, the transmitter must be safe, and proceeded to stick my
> hand in where it didn't belong. At this point I was reluctant to trust
> behavioral modification to prevent a repeat performance. It appeared that
> the only way I was going to survive was to insure my brain was correct in
> it's assumption.
>
> Since that time, many years ago, all my high voltage supplies have been
> turned off for even the briefest receive period. Also, since that time, I
> have not had occasion to wake up on the other side of the room with smoking
> fingers.
>
> If the above is not a sufficiently purposeful reason to do this, then I
> guess the numerous technical reasons for doing it wouldn't change your mind
> either. Each to his own.
>
> 73,
>
> Larry - W7IUV
>
> --

--------------B39B2BCB8F2D5B176C0F3EEB

Hey Larry,
in
?&nbsp; :-)
and to
the
along
the
my
that
in
smoking
mind
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a
href="http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps";>http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps</a>
amps@contesting.com
owner-amps@contesting.com</blockquote>