[AMPS] 833's - go for the gusto

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 833's - go for the gusto
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Colin Lamb)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:15:03 -0700
833's should never be low level modulated.  That would be beneath the
dignity of such a fine tube.

It would be more appropriate to run a pair in push-push (or pull-pull) with
the grids in parallel and the output of each tube operating out of phase and
modulated by a plate modulator operating out of phase.  This would produce a
splendid high level DSB signal.  The advantage of DSB is that twice as many
people can enjoy the superb audio.

Two 833 finals modulated by four 833s in two modulators out of phase would
be just the ticket for a fine hb rig - with 6 windows in the parallel racks
to watch the plates.

Using a Sterba Curtain on 3795 khz ought to allow one to control the entire
10 khz window and bring world wide fame.

Switching the output and/or input would allow use as a conventional Class C
high level modulated rig.

For a real surprise to your ham friends, try running the 833 final in Class
C using a nbfm exciter.  I tried using nbfm with my old Elmac AF-67 to some
local hams and very few could figure out how to copy me.

73,  Colin  K7FM