[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hi Power Connectors
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:53:59 -0500
> I believe it.
> For a few minutes, I've done tests with N up to 6 Kw @ 100 MHz (continuous
> carrier) with no failures or damages. This is possible with properly
> installed N connectors althought I wouldn't anyway raccomend to use more
> than 800 W @ 100 MHz with this type of connector. Up to 30 MHz there is
> instad a wide margin when using an N at 1500W. Connection pin size is not
> all that matters since allowable RF current is different than a mere DC
> rating. PL259/SO239 is a bit awful under this perspective and one
> shouldn't be misleaded by its size assuming the manageable power is larger
> than that of N, at least above 30 MHz .

I can easily blow N connectors out. When I replace them with less
expensive easier-to-install UHF connectors of good quality, I never
have connector problems. At HF, N's are good to 1500 watts or so
if SWR is low. Hardly a "high-power" connector by anyone but a
QRP club members standards. Teflon UHF's will take almost ten
kW without problem in the same situation.

I'd never use an "N" connector, unless it is an impedance critical
system or a system above maybe 250 MHz. The N has the same
approximate internal dimensions as a BNC, no matter how you
install it.

As a matter of fact if you remove the bayonet ring from a male
BNC, you can use it as a quick disconnect connector for N
 females.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com