[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hi Power Connectors
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:03:39 +0100
> The heat will cause the female connector to loose tension which
creates more
> heat
> until it fails totally. The RF current at 1.5 kw is 6 amps which is
equivalent
> to 2 to
> 3 times that at DC values. Would you consider running 20 amps through
> connector
> with that size pin?

Point totally missed, a current of 6 A is 6 A. (5.5 for 1500W)
If a connection is proper to withstand 6A @ 50 MHz it doesn't heat and
there is no present or future damage.
There is no need the connection itself has to be 30 A DC to be 6 A RF.
On the other hand, a 30 amper DC connector can instead be a pure
garbage already at 50 MHz.
Not counting poor weatherproofing and lose in a shield contact that's
insured by the tightening (and this is subdue to thermal cycles) the
PL259 mechanical precision and axiality is a quite relative issue, not
counting the cable soldering method that often create a reason to split
female receptacles in the socket when tin is in excess.
Unuckily, SO239 features aren't better ones.
Last but not least, connectors for a small market and no qualified
users are often produced at low cost with poorer materials and
constructive methods.
Incidentally, others and I can report that N connectors are in service
by years at about 800w continuous power (often more when antenna bays
are unequally power splitted) on the broadcast FM band (88-108 Mhz)
with no problems at all.

73,
Mauri I4JMY