[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706
From: apollo_six@btinternet.com (paul)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:52:29 +0000
In message <006a01c07673$faf2b2e0$1d0c9bcf@eat>, J. Bradshaw
<ac6tk@cybertime.net> writes

>This is normal for many microprocessor controlled radios these days.
>Their output level and swr sensing feeds a closed loop system because
>the PA is made to operate with an unregulated (battery) supply.  In the
>IC 706, the uP makes several decisions before operating electronic
>attenuators in the IF (as does the AGC) to set the power out.  Note
>that on many of these radios, spurious outputs may not be reduced at
>all for lower power settings.  The simple answer for these radios is
>either an attenuator pad and/or lossy Bandpass filters.  Another answer
>may be to reduce the gain of the PA stage or at least drop the supply
>voltage to maybe 11-12v, but this leaves the IF wide open.  Still another
>answer may be to adjust the negative feed back in the Amplifier so that
>the 706 may be run at rated power without exceeding the tube's ratings.
>
>On the 706 and MKII, It is obvious even on my crude spectrum analyzer
>that for whatever power setting, the radio at 13.8v makes well over
>100 watts at the instant of ptt before dropping to the set value.  This is in
>CW or FM mode.  I haven't looked for this in ssb mode, nor have I had a
>MKIII on the bench yet.  There is no perfect radio.  The 706 is a very neat
>portable/mobile rig though.
This is correct whatever the power setting and mode on my 706 version 2

It may also be useful to note however that on some rigs a pulse occurs
for a variety of reasons, such as PTT switch click picked up by mic, ptt
switch pulse induced into mic audio amp. I have seen and cured the
switch pulse on a Heathkit HW5400 and a KW Atlanta using simple
filtering on the mic/PTT socket.

It is not the same problem as the ICOM! Now that we have raised it on
this mailing list I expect ICOM will do something won't they :) ???

Paul

--

To try and not succeed is better than not to try at all (Anon)