[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:09:03 -0800

> Steve WB2WIK/6 writes --
>
> >Last time I built a tetrode amp I used a 4-1000A grid-driven and put
> +550V
> >on Ig2, provided by a stiff power supply that had no electronic
> regulation
> >whatever.  Just a 400V, 200mA transformer, full-wave bridge, ~160uF
> >filtering, and a 10k, 50W bleeder resistor dissipating 30W.  Eg2 never
> >varied by more than 1-2Vpk key up, key down, with modulation, without
> >modulation, whatever.  Seemed plenty stiff enough to me, and cost about
> $20
> >for the entire circuit, including the transformer.
>
> One concern is that the smaller ceramic tubes (i.e. not "tetrodes with
> handles") are less forgiving than the 4-1000.

        ::I guess I would have to ask, "less forgiving" in what way?  My
other tetrode amps (homebrew projects) have been 4CX250B and 4CX1000A types,
used the same approach with those.  Screen current goes positive, negative,
whatever -- mostly averaging "zero," and adjustable, to a large degree, with
the plate loading control -- but I've had the same pair of 4CX250B's in my
144 MHz amp since 1977 and they still work fine, and deliver 1kW PEP output
(2.2kV Ep, 350V Eg2, grid driven).

        -WB2WIK/6