[Amps] 10 Meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 10 Meters
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:34:14 -0600
 Traian said:

 >So, the 1.5 kW mobile may be closer that we think...

Uhh, you mean "legal" kW mobile?

The freebanders in the US typically run as much power as they can load on
their pickup trucks without breaking the axles.  A mobile 50 kW is not
unheard of.

At 12 V, this power level is problematic, but with a second generator, trivial.

When I swapped the engine in my '69 Ford pickup truck (from 360 ci to 460
ci) I added a surplus second alternator that had an interesting
characteristic -- it could be run at almost any output voltage from 0 to 28
v, up to 100 amps.

Higher voltage alternators and generators are common in military and
flight-line surplus.  It's a tight fit in many newer vehicles, but not
impossible if you're a decent bolt-turner.

With a higher voltage system in a new car, it still might not be feasible
to draw the current required for kW operation.  You may be better off with
retrofitting a 20-year-old vehicle.

Jim N6OTQ