[Amps] hv resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hv resistors
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (WYsixK)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:24:09 -0700 (PDT)
Rich, you must have missed my earlier post.  I tried tracking down the
Dale resistors by calling every Vishay/Dale distributor listed by
Vishay.  Those high voltage resistors (which fit the bill perfectly)
are not carried by any stocking distributors, partly because they are
NCNR (non-cancellable non-returnable).  They are about $17 each, must
be ordered from the factory and the factory does not quote a lead time.
 We checked the inventory directly at Vishay/Dale and there are no
3.5kv, 7.5 kv, or 15 kv resistors in stock at Vishay.  So if you order
a couple of them you will have to wait until someone orders lots of
them and piggyback on their production run.

I don't know which ones you are referring to from Mouser - none of the
ones I find fit your description. In fact, I haven't found any 1400
volt units available from Mouser.

They carry Ohmite 10% ceramic comp units that go up to 1 Megohm, 2
watts, rated at 700 volts - but they are $1.08 in onesy twosy and $.87
over 100.  For my application I would need about 500 of these.

They also carry Xicon metal oxide units that go up to 1 Meg at 1,2, or
3 watts but are only rated at 350 volts.  The 1 watt units are $.13 in
onesy twosy and $.09 between 100 and 1000 pieces.  I would need 500 of
these too.

They also carry Xicon carbon comp resistors that go up to 8.2 megohm.
But I researched these on the Xicon site and find that they are rated
at 500 v.  These would work for me, I would need 61 of these at $.30
each, which would be $18 bucks.

Then Mouser also carries what seems to be the best units for my
application:  the Xicon 5% carbon film resistors.  These are available
up to 22 meg.  I will use 33 15 meg units at a total cost of $2.97.
(I'm conveniently ignoring insertion cost).

Let me know if I've missed any 1kv units - I don't see any.

Thanks,
Michael