[Amps] Help ! Hard Fault 99

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Help ! Hard Fault 99
From: kayser at sympatico.ca (Larry Kayser)
Date: Mon Feb 3 20:35:45 2003
>Greetings:

>  the led's barely begin to glow when it shuts off - < 0.5 sec.
> > Most bizzare.

Depending of the design of sensing system, if you get any current off
balance in the two 120V lines , i.e. a sneak path to the Neutral, you can
have this happen this fast.  Lift your ground wire off the amp., disconnect
the other ground paths through the coax etc, and see if the problem
stays.  If it goes away then you have moved the problem and solution can be
found.

Work the switches with a wooden stick, and have a second person ready to
trip the breaker.  Keep one hand in your pocket, and stand on a plastic
milk crate.  I had a medical amplifier here once that had a single pole
switch in the 240 on one side only.  The sneak path was out the Neutral,
darned near got me.  The Neutral wire MUST be disconnected unless your
using the 120V Option.

Make sure you disconnect the RS-232 as Pin 1 in 25 pin connectors is a
wonderful way to sneak a ground out.

Larry
VA3LK