[Amps] Question about ampifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Question about ampifiers
From: K1LE at ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Mon Apr 14 00:33:04 2003
snip
> If you are getting your power from a 3 phase line, and you have 120
> volts then there should be only 208 volts across the two phases.
snip

Unless of course it's a delta secondary or some configuration other than
grounded wye, which is most common in the US.

 In a lab where I once worked, the power supply was 480/277 and 120/208,
both grounded wye. I spent so much time there experimenting that I became
quite used to these numbers. One day I was working in another building fed
by another supply which normally fed a bank of 480v welders.  I connected a
220v load bank from phase to ground figuring on there being 277 volts.
Though 277v was a bit high, I thought I'd be ok if I kept the duty cycle
down.  It went up in a fireball and almost set my pants on fire as I ran for
the disconnect. Turned out that the power transformer secondary was
configured grounded delta. It was three phase delta 480v with one leg
grounded...learned my lesson.

Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>

> Carlos Augusto S. Pereira wrote:
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > I have three amplifiers a Heathkit SB-220, a Heathkit SB-200 and an
Ameritron AL80B. In my shack (an apartment) I have two voltages 120 and 220
(not 240). The AL80B has the 220v option but the Heathkits just work with
240v. There is a drop in the line voltage and my amplifiers are not working
at their full potential.

> > My question is: The Heathkit amplifiers will work fine with 220v or I
should expect low power output? Has anyone experienced the same situation.

> > 73 Carlos
> >
> > ps. My building has three phases, that is the reason I have 220v and not
240v.

> > Carlos Augusto S. Pereita PY4RO
> > www.qsl.net/py4ro
> > E-mail: py4ro@superig.com.br