Re: [Amps] Mobile high power

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mobile high power
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:30:46 -0700 (PDT)
That's true -- the vehicle charges when you are decelerating, as well as when
the engine is running.  Another heavy load like a high power amp would really
put a dent in the power budget!

I've always wondered though -- does the gasoline engine have to run for the AC
or is it run off electric as well??  It would seem that if the compressor is
engine powered, hybrids wouldn't make a lot of sense in hot climates.  I know
the 100+ degree summers here in North Texas put a big load on ACs as they are
now anyway.

Joe, N3JI

HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com> wrote:
The trouble in applying extra battery loads to hybrid vehicles
might be that the main battery is matched to the car drive
mechanism such that maximum economy and speed/weight ratios
would not permit huge appliances without deteriorating the system.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, so I wonder if the charging
system could keep up with an extra big demand....

Hal
W4HBM